Saturday, June 21, 2008

6/21/08: My first wild Bison and Moose sighting!

Today we explored the Grand Teton National Park. Paul and I were in awe of their dramatic beauty and the lovely snow covered peaks. We took a hike and ran into a moose. I feel pretty sure that was the first time I ever saw a moose close and personal in the wild. That was definitely cool. Then we took a side road to some historic buildings and were surprised to see at least several hundred Bison, including many with calves. Ten to twenty passed just 10 feet in front of our motor home. It looked like there could have been a thousand Bison grazing unhurriedly in the wide expanse. It caused me to ponder…this must have been what it was like when the Native Americans hunted the Bison (minus my motor home and the paved road!).

1 comment:

Good Yarns said...

I can't believe how close you were! Were you a little ..um..afraid? I think maybe I would have been.

And the dino dig from the last post: how cool to actually see them for real.

We just finished the cake hunt for Sarah's sleepover and we miss Christina. Tell her we love her.