Thursday, July 10, 2008

7/10/08 The Little Town on the Prairie

While some De Smet residents may be sick of the name, Ingalls, I’m sure they don’t mind the way it affects their pocketbooks today. This is the location where four of her books took place. I believe she was 11 when they moved here. It was here she spent the “Long, Long Winter,” had her first teaching job at age 15, met and married Almonzo, and had her two children (one who died shortly after birth). The girls especially enjoyed the Ingalls Homestead where they were able to experience many hands on, interactive Ingalls and prairie life activities.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Oh, what a fantastic place to visit! I had no idea they had preserved the house. Those books have always been my absolute favorites... I've read at least a couple to my boys but they aren't quite feelin' the love like I did.