Saturday, December 20, 2008

Merry Christmas!

The Meity Road Trip is over and Christmas is here. We are temporarily living in our motor home and going back and forth between my parent’s home and our home community. I thought this would be a very strange and perhaps disappointing Christmas. And while it is strange, it is much to my surprise the best Christmas I’ve had in a long time. We don’t have a tree, or Christmas lights, we haven’t hosted any parties, or even bought many gifts. Our kids have almost nothing on their wish lists and we wouldn’t have room for it if they did. It’s awesome. P reminded me that it’s the first Christmas in a long time that I haven’t said, “I hate Christmas.” (Forgive the harsh words – I’ve never been one to hide my feelings. And mind you, I don’t hate the holiday itself, in fact I love it, I just hate all the unnecessary stress and busyness that comes with it in our culture). We’ve had time to spend with people, time to help my elderly parents, time to volunteer at the Rescue Mission and time to really enjoy and appreciate the true meaning of Christmas. Who knew that such a weird living situation would be the means of helping us have a truly enjoyable Christmas season?! Happy birthday Jesus!
In honor of the celebration of Christ's birth, I've attached a video of RJ singing at our church "Away in a Manger" - hope you enjoy!

No comments: