Sunday, August 17, 2008

8/17/08 Wine Country

While here I learned that this lush green area in the finger lakes region of NY is famous for it’s fine vineyards and popular wines. It is 2nd in the US only to California’s Napa Valley – the only difference, we were told, is California’s longer growing season. Not only was it full of tasty wineries but also lovely lakes and rolling green hills.

After the wine country, we headed to Fort Stanwix where a successful Revolutionary War battle was fought against the British. I learned that 1/3 of all the battles were fought in NY State. Hopefully, we can get in a couple sites before “fort-fatigue” sets in on the kids.

2 comments:

Mel- said...

My goodness - if you're in the Fort Stanwix area, then you're probably pretty close to my friend Michelle in Utica. http://upstatenystuff.blogspot.com/

If you'd like - I can hook you guys up and she can show you all around her neck of the woods!

Melanie

(I went to Fort Stanwix probably close to 20 years ago with Michelle and my Great Aunt & Uncle. It was a neat place)

Unknown said...

LOL - I didn't realize that Mel had left you a comment too! I am more than willing to meet up with you and help you out or show you around! I'll be camping at Sampson State Park on Labor Day weekend - it's on the Eastern shore of Seneca Lake - a great campsite for families!
Michelle