Thursday, August 21, 2008

8/21/08: The Battle of Saratoga

This was awesome to at least one person in my family – me!!! It could have turned me into a Revolutionary War buff …almost. The American victory at Saratoga (Who’s Sara Toga?, my daughter asks – see MeityFunnyBone.blogspot.com for more on that one) showed the world that the untrained, undisciplined American soldiers could beat the best army in the world. The British surrendered (with conditions) to the rebels. As a result, the French decided to aid the Americans in their war with the British.

I loved seeing the battle site and getting a good feel for exactly what happened during the two battles that took place there. I marvel at the huge battle area where they fought. It made me tired just thinking of how long and hard they fought and over such large distances. It was also interesting to see the significance of geography in history. I keep seeing the repeat of that theme every time we visit a historical site. Well, now I just need to find a good sight-seeing buddy who will read ALL the signs WITH me.

2 comments:

Mel- said...

I not only read all the signs - but take pictures too! Ha!

Melanie

Big Brother said...

Hi Sis. I will read them with you. As you know, I love history.