Wednesday, September 17, 2008

9/17/08

I was so floored to stand in THE very room where our country was born. In Independence Hall in Philadelphia, the Declaration of Independence was finalized, approved and signed. In addition, eleven years later, over the course of several months, delegates met in this very room, argued, discussed, debated, and finally wrote and signed the US Consitution, then a new and experimental government which has now stood the test of time. I can’t believe I got to see the very room where it all happened – wow! And double wow! (Yes, I do love history).
(By the way, the 2nd picture I've posted is of the very chair George Washington sat in as president of the 2nd Continental Congress, who met wrote the Constitution here. It's hard to see in the pic, but at the top center on the back of the chair is carved a half sun. I've included Ben Franklin's comment about it.)

No comments: