Saturday, December 6, 2008

Back to real life...

I drove up to our first stop in CA, my parents’ home, the home I grew up in, and it was like no time had passed. It’s all over and all just a memory…or was it really a dream? Perhaps my pictures will convince me it was real. Life is like that. Kinda weird, huh?

The best thing by far for our first evening back home was seeing my parents. We could hardly contain the girls; they were so excited as we got closer. I know my folks were just as delighted.

Shortly after our arrival at my parents’ home, we prepared to go out to eat with them. The following conversation ensued. “P, we need to get our car out [from their back yard area].” “It’s already out.” “No, that’s not ours; that’s my dad’s.” “That’s ours.” “But ours is silver, not tan.” “No, ours is tan…look...the inside light doesn’t work just like ours.” “Oh, [sigh], you’re right, that is ours.” …..O.K., what is with that? I can’t even remember what my car looks like. It’s not been THAT long! Pretty scary!

Once we figured out which one was our car, we drove it. Oh, wow, did you ever realize how fast a car can stop, how sharp it can turn, how squished it is? It’s been a long time since we drove a car. It felt so low to the ground, like our back side was dragging along the street! And, guess what? The driving lanes don’t seem so narrow, nor the road so uneven, and we don’t even have to think about whether we’ll fit in the parking lot or not! There are so many things we take for granted. :-)

No comments: